Tuesday, March 18, 2014

First fight


I don't particularly like getting into fights, but I haven't exactly done my best to avoid them either...

I remember my first fight was in 1st grade.  Dustin Z. had a big, round face and a wide mouth like King Hippo in Mike Tyson's punchout, or maybe like one of the Wild Things. He had a mop of brown curly hair, and I remember him always wearing camo pants. He was bigger and louder than other kids and enjoyed pushing his weight around.  He may be the only 'bully' I ever encountered.

We were in the Museum of Natural History on a class trip, standing in front of a 6-foot long Tyrannosaurus Rex skull.  Dustin was right behind me.  "Hey Alex," he said, "that’s almost as big as your head! HAHA!"  Everyone heard his joke and I was immediately red with embarrassment.  Without even thinking or turning around to face him, I elbowed him as hard as I could in the gut.  To my surprise, he doubled over and started crying to the teacher!  I couldn't believe it- he was mortal!!  I don't remember the teachers scolding or punishing me afterwards, but if they did, it must not have been that severe (I gotta think that the they were somewhat tickled to see the little guy take down the bully, but who knows).  Dustin would always make me a little nervous, but after that day, I don’t remember worrying about him nearly as much.

No comments:

Post a Comment