Saturday, March 9, 2024

The Value of Money

 

If money isn’t working for you, you’re fucked.  Last year my cousin’s sister-in-law Ruth strangled her kid and then tried (unsuccessfully) to kill herself because she was stressed about the family’s finances and didn’t want her son to have to grow up with money hardships.  The family had just sold their second house, so they weren’t going to be feeling much hardship at all for quite a while, but that was her head space that fateful night.  I just got off the phone with a rep from my managed Fidelity account and he couldn’t stress enough how quickly I’m headed for ruin if I keep transferring money out of the account.  And the first feeling after I hung up the phone was something shockingly empathetic to Ruth’s notion.  Super fucked up.  I don’t mean strangling kids, but how the feeling of life’s worth and the value of our purpose is tied up in the money you’re currently burning to stay warm at night.

No comments:

Post a Comment