Saturday, April 27, 2024

Lies Abound

 

To a certain degree this country was founded on a lie and lives on a bubble, and so I’ve decided to live and perceive my life as a counterpoint.

We stole land from native Americans, and shipped in slaves to build the economy.  None of this we actually earned, we just took it.  (Damn, if the story of America doesn’t sound like something that could be in the Bible).  So we have this giant economy, New York being the financial center of the world, but we’re in how many trillions of dollars in debt?  As a culture, we’re encouraged to use credit cards and rack up debt as long as you regularly pay it off (with interest!) because that builds “good credit”.  The Pro-Palestine/Divest from Israel protests are starting to peel back the curtain on some of the absurdities of the strength of the American dollar.  And now the American Dream in the form of being able to put in a few years of good, hard, honest work to afford a house and family is gone.  Out of reach for such an unfortunately number of people. 

And here’s my response: I’m going to spend my money, the little that I have, on a life that makes me happy now.  Not one of lavish vacations that are merely brief escapes from a dreadful work life.  I choose to spend my money, time, and energy on living a fun, full life of love right now.  Today.  I have next to zero plan for any idea of “retirement”, my current work only occasionally bringing in enough to cover my monthly expenses.  The rate that I’m dipping into savings/inheritance is staggering, it will all be gone in about 2 years.  But I’m happy, and happy in the face of a world that seems to be on fire in every corner.  I am able to support Katy, in ways that rarely have anything to do with money, because I have the time and energy.  I’m able to take care of my mom, stay in shape, make an incredible amount of food at home for our house and others, and work on creative projects all because I’m living a lie.  Katy and I lucked out on finding this beautiful, huge house, and then couldn’t believe at how generous John has been as a landlord.  Our rent started out very cheap and he hasn’t raised it a single time.  So we’re able to pretend that this house is ours, this backyard is ours, and live in a oasis in the middle of a neighborhood/country that is in shambles. 

Would a financial advisor say this is a good idea?  No.  But I hate how financial literacy and stability is the default mentality that you’re supposed to assume is synonymous with ‘being an adult’.  Of course my perspective is short-sighted, and there’s a strong chance that it won’t take too much of a blow to completely knock me (and Katy with me) off my feet.  But that’s kind of the point.  To live in the now can be applied to your financial life as well as your social life.  And that I leave myself vulnerable to a roided out monster of a system, well, yeah.  It doesn’t matter if I’m wearing armor or not.  When and if it becomes my time to face it, I’ll be able to do so with a clear mind and a full heart. 

No comments:

Post a Comment