Wednesday, October 25, 2017

Motorcycle Road Trip, DAY 1: Philadelphia, PA to Petersburg, WV

The bus from Philly was delayed in traffic.  AJ picked me up at the Washington DC bus station.  She's very well-spoken, accomplished, down-to-earth, fun, and pleasant!  Tacos for lunch were dee-lish!
Eagle Riders tells me they don't have a GPS, despite my reservation?!  Finally they got me setup with one, but for about an hour I was almost in tears.  Once I was good to go, I was so surprised- even with the additional helmet, everything I packed fit on the bike!
And I got on the road!!!!....only to hit Washington DC rush hour traffic leaving the city.  It sucked, but I didn't mind so much- I was finally on my bike!  After the traffic, man, riding became FUN.  There were colors, twistys & windys, bridges, and soon there weren't any other cars!  Glorious.  I was racing against the sun though, trying to get to Van's cabin in Petersburg, WV (the middle of nowhere, West Virginia) before dark.

Averaging 85mph, I got the bike up to 105mph at one point!  Yaoowww!!  I made it to Van's road as the last remaining light disappeared.  The cabin was at the end of a long (10minutes?!) road, and it just got worse and worse the further back I went.  Finally I arrived at the gate to her property and turned off the bike so that I could walk up to the house to find the gate key under the porch.  As soon as I turned off the bike's headlight and flipped on my small headlamp, I was like, "Oh fuck this.  Nope.  I'm not getting murdered by ghosts on my first night."
I got back on the bike and found a nearby motel.  The two ladies at the front desk asked if I wanted "the haunted room" and even showed me that their list of rooms had one marked *haunted*.  I was so tired at this point and had little energy to entertain them.  I finally got a room (that wasn't haunted), but still immediately prayed for protection and slept with the bathroom light on ;)
I started reading Last of the Mohicans (my chosen book for downtime on the trip).  But the way Cooper writes, I think I only absorbed about 50% of the first chapter.
I had a dream that Matt McGuiness and all my favorite regulars and I were on a plane and Matt was sitting in the back of the pane on the top of cases of cold beer.  People could go back and ask for however many they wanted.  So we all got drunk and were partying!...but then I woke up and was sober.

No comments:

Post a Comment