Friday, April 17, 2009

Soul-shaking Blues

I like heavy music. I like songs sung and played with a fist inside the chest of its creator. Not that it has to be angry heavy-metal, it just needs to be powerful and strong; from a force that drops with the precision of a gavel and thunder of an earthquake. It makes my stomach and throat tingle, and my eyes get a wild look if they're not closed. 'Big Eater' by The Bad Plus, '4th of July' by Soundgarden, 'Ballad of a Thin Man' by Bob Dylan, 'Tarantula' by Smashing Pumpkins, 'I'm Bad (like Jesse James)' by John Lee Hooker, and even a lot of classical pieces. A lot of them are rooted in the Blues, a genre I can't get enough of. The best word I can think of to describe the sound is 'heavy' and it washes over me, covering me with a leather chest plate, gloves, and shoes perfect for the occasion. It's not anger, its just testosterone. A man was not made to sit at a desk. The music is usually good for lifting, but lifting is just practice for sport. Wow- I'm back to lacrosse again... I started looking for a Boston men's league a while ago, but to no avail. I found youth leagues, an indoor league out in Worcester, a league for ex-Division 1A studs, and a 30+ geezer league. I'm going to get my ass handed to me, but maybe I should try walking onto the ex-D1 league... Well, there goes the thought about music and the blues... Sorry :s

No comments:

Post a Comment