Friday, April 17, 2009

Why go by rail?

I'm riding on a Bolt bus from Boston to New York and wonder why I ever paid $80 to make this trek on Amtrak so many times in the past. The bus goes straight from Boston to New York except for a gracious 10-minute break for a quick bite or stretch of the legs. So the ride is faster and smoother. The Bolt bus (and Megabus, and similar companies) is only $18 even if you purchase the ticket the day before you leave, while the train (only one option: Amtrak) can be up to $100 or more! The bus is quieter as there aren't any announcements of stops. It's also calmer as very few people are walking up and down the aisles. But the kicker, for me, is that the bus has free wi-fi!! Isn't it unbelievable that the Amtrak Acela, which advertises to the 'business traveler', does not even have wi-fi?! Basically the business traveler is stuck on their crackberries or offline with their Powerpoint slides. I think Obama just prepared a ton of money to go into the American rail system, right? I believe there is a belief that trains don't pollute as much as cars and buses, but is that really true? I'm not so sure. I used to have Amtrak as a client when I worked for an ad agency, and although they had a couple 'green' ads created, I don't think they ever saw the light of day as there was never enough support and confidence that this angle was going to be a strong selling point! I'll look more into that Obama plan to see waddup..

No comments:

Post a Comment