Wednesday, November 1, 2017

Motorcycle Road Trip, DAY 8: Atlanta, GA to Suches, GA

Picked up Lauren at the airport this morning!!  Damn- I actually went to the international terminal and made her find me.  Whoops.  I blame the airport signage though.
We hit the road out of Atlanta traffic and were soon in the high trees.

We came to a beautiful lake and stopped to walk around and take some pictures.
But when we came back, I dropped the bike trying to back it out of the gravel parking spot.  Luckily Lauren wasn't on the back at the time.  Also, I'm glad the bike had big crash bars so the bike didn't get damaged.  It was so heavy that both Lauren and I couldn't pick it up, and a came over and quietly helped us get the bike upright.  And then... I dropped it again!  The stranger quietly helped again, but I was mortified, and really off my game for a while afterwards.
From Dougs suggestion, we made it to Wolf Mountain Vineyards and enjoyed some wine with lunch, and a spectacular view.

Afterwards, the roads got really twisty-turny.  "Double-black diamond" level, I'd say.  We found a quiet stream and took a stroll.  Eventually, we found our campsite by a beautiful lake, got groceries, set up the tent, and tried to build a fire, but the wood was wet and wouldn't catch (even with gas-tank gasoline soaked towels! ha!).  So, we ate a can of chili beans for dinner, and peanut butter and chocolate squares for desert, and it was delicious :)
It was freezing overnight and we could hear wolves howling through the mountains.

No comments:

Post a Comment